11/08/2009

Funny Questions, Funny Comments

It's not all about sight seeing when we travel.

What I really love is those colourful sparks from the combustion of different cultures as people mingle.

During my stay in Cambodia, there were times when a few funny incidents left me growing roots on the ground or chuckling away by myself on the tuk tuk.



You Good!

I was done with the sunset at Pre Rup.

As I crossed the road to look for Soc Phean, I saw him chatting with another tuk tuk driver. Both of them flashed me back with that famous 'Cambodian grin'.

I whipped up my happiest grin back at Soc Phean and his mate. I was really happy, for the sunset at Pre Rup is oh-so-satisfying!

And without a word, I started climbing into the tuk tuk.

His mate started laughing. "No! No!"

Then I realized I climbed into the wrong vehicle. Soc Phean, who was already ahead, turned back in amusement.

Those who knew me since young know that I have this nickname "Big Head Prawn". That in mandarin or Cantonese refers to someone ultra blur.

That's me. And this trait has been with me even today.

That kind tuk tuk friend of Soc Phean walked me to the Real McCoy. All of us couldn't stop laughing.

"You good!" Uncle Tuk Tuk lifted up his thumb at me.

I thought he was teasing my blur-ness.

"You good too!" I teased back. "Maybe you give me good discount, I sit in your tuk tuk!"

"No, you good!" he repeated again a few more times. This time, another tuk tuk driver joined us. I started to feel a little baffled, not sure if I've gotten the gist right.

"What is good? Pre Rup? Yes, very very good!" I returned with a sincere compliment.

"He meant to say you are very beautiful." Soc Phean was chuckling away at our conversation.

"Your driver loves you!" The second tuk tuk driver looked at me cheekily.

"Really? But he was always late!" I wanted to say "I love my driver too!" but I thought it could sound too cheesy. I held back my tongue last minute and switched to a mean tease instead.

All of us laughed.

"Bye!!" I waved at the two tuk tuk drivers as Soc Phean and I rode off in the earthy, reddish gold of the sunset.

I dunno what's the definition of beautiful' in Cambodian culture because I am certainly not by our oriental standard. I read somewhere that the Apsaras are supposedly very beautiful. Maybe with my flat nose and slightly angled face, I reminded them of an Apsara??


I dun mind having that figure of the Apsara though ;P



Original article at Heyzanie's World


2 comments:

fufu said...

yeah... ponder how you look like ya =p i am very curious n_<

Heyzanie said...

Haha...very plain and ordinary. U won't turn or bat an eyelid if you see me on the road, fufu! Those tuk tuk drivers made me wonder if I should migrate to Cambodia! ^ ^

我们的天空。。

召集旅游狂和博客!!若有兴趣成为我们的一分子,请留言在chatbox或email我: confessionofdtravelholics@hotmail.com。 Travelholics (bloggers) wanted!! Come and join us by dropping a message in the chatbox or email me confessionofdtravelholics@hotmail.com.

_________________________________________________________________

现在才发现,原来我们的部落格差一点就安了个和大马著名背包旅行作者黄爱琳的两本书书名一样的名字。。。所以如果有一天爱琳再出版第三本书,而书名为《再难也要去旅行》的话,我们并不是抄袭她的哦。。。 ^.^

主编 09年8月1日 ****************************************************************

Our footsteps..